“It was a very educational and fun way to learn about our career choices.”
Since 2014, Build a Dream has engaged 10,000 parents and their daughters through specialized programming that highlights careers in skilled trades, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), emergency response, entrepreneurship, politics and leadership. Whether your students are headed to apprenticeship training, college, university or directly to the workplace, Build a Dream can help students make informed career choices by exploring all of the opportunities available.
- Career Expos – Build a Dream works with local school board to recruit students (and their parents) for our FREE annual career discovery expos. Panelists, employer networking, and hands-on learning, deliver the career exploration message in a variety of ways.
- Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) – Build a Dream can deliver a variety of programming for your SHSM students.
- Hands-on Camps – Build a Dream offers unique opportunities for young women to try different jobs that they may have considered before. Students get to work in different environments, try new things, meet employers, work with like-minded peers and have fun.
- Dream Makers – Students can use Build a Dream’s database of mentors to learn about women who work in a variety of fields, or are enrolled in post-secondary education in skilled trades, STEM, emergency response and entrepreneurship.
- Skilled Trades Posters – “She can’t be it if she can’t see it”. These posters are designed to inspire young women to explore career opportunities in the skilled trades. They can be used as conversation starters for those who are just discovering the industry for the 1st time, or as visual motivation to continue the journey for those who are starting on the path.
- Books for Young Readers – Career building starts with a dream and discovering a passion can be a challenge for young women. These books are designed to plant the seeds of career ideas and of self-confidence at an early age.
- Interviews with Women in Industry– Powerful tool to help your students dive deeper into a career path and explore from home. Get answers from real women who are working in the industry and show these Canadian role models to students who are hesitant about entering a male-dominated field.
- Career Discovery resources – Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive access to career-building resources that were revealed during our #DreamHomeEdition Career discovery Expo on May 27th 2020.
To find out how your school board or organization can host a Build a Dream career expo or workshop, contact us today!
“The event you and your team held was FANTASTIC!! I have never seen so many parents and daughters interested in careers. I have been to numerous ‘exposure’ events for young people, and by far the Build a Dream events have been the most unique I have seen. Congratulations to you and your team for working on something special.”
Colleen Dignam, Provincial Training Coordinator, The Carpenters’ Union
“In the spring of 2017, I had the pleasure of hearing Nour Hachem-Fawaz speak about the work she had been doing in the Windsor area with Build a Dream. The passion she has for this movement is so inspiring that I knew we had to bring this event to London. It is so perfectly aligned with our OYAP goal to encourage more females to consider a career in under-represented trades. From an OYAP perspective, this is the most successful event that we have ever hosted.”
Jennifer Ingratta, OYAP Project Leader, London District Catholic School Board